Sunday, August 4, 2013

Doodle day Flowers

The weather in Orange County has been absolutely beautiful. This morning, I took my cup of coffee outside and enjoyed the fresh air with my two dogs. Sometimes we get hummingbirds, but today we saw a butterfly.

The butterfly flew the length of the pool, back and forth, like maybe it was flying laps. It settled on one of our umbrellas and took a bath in the sunlight.

I found myself wishing I had my camera and thinking that the butterfly would just flutter-fly away, but it kept a place on the umbrella. I decided to take a chance and go for my phone.

I hoped and hoped it would still be there when I returned. Though the trip was short, I kept checking to see if it was still there, and it was! Of course, once I got the camera ready it decided to fly away.

I said, "Come back! Please come back!" And it did! It flew right back onto its perch on the umbrella. But just as I selected the proper setting on the camera, it flew away.

I watched as it flew peacefully back across the pool, over the trees, and into another yard. I felt blessed to have had the butterfly in my company.

I've never really been one to draw a butterfly, but I really love them. I sat down at my art desk and started doodling flowers. I used pens of all kinds and used a brush to melt the colors with some watercolor paint. I just kept adding layers upon layers of ink and paint and suddenly a butterfly emerged.

I like the composition and I really feel like I got lost while creating it. It was fun to just let go and be free, just like the butterfly.

The painting is on Canson 140lb watercolor paper. I used Pilot fine point pens, metallic Gelly pens, (good) watercolor, and Sakura Souffle pens.

No comments: