Monday, November 18, 2013

New Media

Throughout the year, I've discovered many different ways to create art. One of the most surprising was the use of markers and water. For the entry today I used Flair porous felt tipped markers and a water brush.

In fact, that is also how I've been creating my wintery scenes. I love how the simple felt tipped outlines becomes something a little more special. It is like a paint, but it is also like a marker when I use the water brush to spread the ink.

And, it's so easy! And portable, too! If you haven't tried it, you might give it a whirl. Water brushes can be found at any of the craft stores and, of course, any art store. I'm thankful for the discovery of this tool.

The words on the page only reflect the "unlikely pairing" of the marker and the water brush, and the "crazy"-ness of their beauty together. I believe I will be adding more to this page, but I just love the start already. For instance, while walking back from a fire drill at school today, I picked up a piece of book page that had been nearly decimated and knew exactly where it would find a new home.

Speaking of school, my first day with kids was today. If you're keeping track, I'm helping them learn to read, speak, write, and think in English. Many of my students have not been in the United States for more than a year, which can make school difficult, but I'm glad that I can teach them in a small group.

Today went well. Of course it wouldn't be a good first day without a fire drill....

No comments: