Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A New Season

There is a time and a season to everything and every purpose and it seems new growth, or spring for my soul, has come to California in the dead of winter. Today began by painting a full heart filled with and surrounded by light. I posted it as a "work in progress" in the morning and it turned out to be the completed piece by the end of the day. It is a beginning and an end with which I am content.
 
At school, I arrived to monitor recess wearing a skirt, tshirt, and Keds dress shoes- not the tennis shoes, rather they have a small heel and look more like casual-dress shoes. No laces...Anyway...
A coworker exclaimed, "You look like spring!" and I really felt like spring had sprung. The temperature had climbed past 75 on that December day.
 
Winter? Bah Humbug!
 
The seagulls shrieked and circled above the outdoor lunchtables hoping for scraps left behind. The crows grumbled at the gulls about territory and the little birds stayed anxious in the leaves on trees and dropped brown goo on our papers and my shirt. Yes, I really wrote that, and yes, it really happened.
 
Also, the crazy shrieking screaming seagull has been named, "Bob, the Springbrook Seagull" by the students who observed "him" today.
 
Warm enough to work outside in December is a fine recipe for my kind of winter.
 
At an outdoor table in the shade, one of my first grade English Language Learners presented me with a gift. He attempted to describe how he won the prize of an orange spider-ring and also told me he wished to give me the ring. Imagine my surprise when he said, "It is horrible, but it is for you." I did my best to look surprised and grateful when he put his hand out to shake mine and asked, "friend?"
 
These days are priceless.
 
Later, I went for a little dim-sum for the soul. My friend Jeannine opened her studio for us to paint on cookies! She learned in Italy and shared her techniques with us. She had to close the studio early because of attendance in the Laguna Beach Full Moon Drum Circle. I had to move quickly with my art, but my soul enjoyed the comaraderie of new friends, sweet Christmas carols on an iphone, and the joy of sharing in the process with others.
 
I returned to the "work in progress" from the morning only to doze off while attempting to create additions to an already beautiful piece. It was then I decided to keep it as it was and let it rest.
 
Rest must come, even when the day is filled with such joy and new growth.
Rest is good.
Enjoy the season!

 
 
 

No comments: