Friday, January 24, 2014

Doodle do

On the way into school today, I saw a bird near the entrance. I had never seem a buyers like this one! It looked like a duck, but had the neck of a goose. It stood still long enough for me to get a couple of pictures to share with friends to help identify it.

Later, I posted it on instagram and FB and hoped for a response. Sure enough, a friend posted that it is called an Egyptian Goose.

Wow! So now I know a new bird! That just doesn't happen very often!

But it helped me realize, when the student is curious, that is when the student will acquire new language. In school, I've started backwards planning with my students to help them learn more vocab. It seems to be working, because when they've become curious, they've learned more words.

I enjoy that kind of confirmation.

And the Egyptian Goose.

No comments: