Wednesday, September 11, 2013

9/11

There are many ways to spend Patriot Day in the United States and most of them include a sort of ceremony or reflection. I chose to fly home from Minnesota because I believe facing a fear is certainly a way to overcome it.

Beyond a heightened presence of Travel and Safety Agents, there was a great sense of safety, peace, and acknowledgment of the events of this day, twelve years ago.

My first flight was from Minneapolis/St.Paul, and I got an entire row to myself. I created a few things as I felt free to spread out a bit and let loose. The flight was uneventful aside from a few bumpy clouds.

We got in on-time to Denver and the transfer was a breeze. As I approached the gate, I heard the gate agent announcing an "over-sold" flight and my imagination immediately carried me back to my sister for a free future visit. Alas, although I signed up, my name was not called to be bumped. And then-

"This flight is full. If you have passed an empty seat, you might as well go back to it, because it probably belongs to you."

Yes, my row was very cramped.

But there were no complaints anywhere. People shared stories about their experiences or chose to remain reflective and quiet. My row chose the latter- at least I believe it is so, because we didn't talk. I had the middle seat. Any hopes of extra room in the row were dashed when I asked to sit there. Regardless, we shared a  9/11/13 experience together.

My drawing in "block letters" (for a Daisy Yellow prompt and "Color This Quote") states, "There is no shortcut to anywhere worth going". Upon reflection of the day, I meant the crowded flight. As for 9/11, it is about the healing. For me, it is about going home.

I am so happy to be home!

No comments: