Sunday, June 16, 2013

But it WAS sunny.

Today is Dad's day all over the place. My sister got us started early and we were on our way to a great brunch and a spot in the sunshine.

We were ahead of the crowds and had the best of everything and no wait. When we have to wait for everything like treatments, medications to work, and just better health, it's really nice to get what you want right away.

We enjoyed time together and are thankful for the sunny skies that made it all feel, well, normal. Ideas for the remains of the day were tossed around like any other time. Even a boat ride seemed like a good idea at one point.

When we got home, my sister buzzed with activity for a bit just picking up bits and pieces around the house and near her big chair. Then we headed outside so she could get her "lawn jewelry" out and about.

It was still sunny and a friend of hers dropped by with some homemade brownies. Finally, the action stopped and my sister rested on the lounge chair while we all chatted.

Still, it felt more normal today than it has all week. I half expected her to run a 5k...well, no. But she was doing great. She still is.

The big chair and her sheet/quilt setup is a good reality check. She needs naps and craves that space. Plus, any time her alarm from Walgreens goes off, she's reminded to take a look at her list to find out which meds to take.

And it's pretty different to be driving her places in her car. I've lived here before so I know lots of routes without GPS, but she's usually behind the wheel.

She directed me past her new school and I got to see where her classroom is- from the outside. It's still nice to picture where her heart "lives".

Tonight I pack to go back to Cali.
It's going to be a long day, but I am so grateful for this time with my sister. Nothing in the world can take this week from me.

Another sister is here to continue care and the young one will be in good hands. We all miss our Dad this Dad's day, but with us three together? He's here. I know he's proud of us.

Happy Dad's Day, everybody!

No comments: