Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Watermelon Man

Seems like every time I turn on the Long Beach Jazz station in the car, I hear "Watermelon Man" by Herbie Hancock, in some version or another. It's a great tune and one found on an Aebersold recording for the practice of improv. I remember the pink-swirled album cover well.

I started playing saxophone by ear as soon as I started in the fifth grade. For my June 4 birthday after eighth grade, my Mom gave me two tapes: Kenny G's "Duotones" and David Sanborn's "Change of Heart". I did not fall in love with the Kenny G, but did fall in love with the David Sanborn sound.

I played his stuff by ear, along with the tape, all summer long. Ask my old neighbors! I copied inflections, vibrato, and as much gusto as I could muster. Then, I started private lessons with G-L-O-R-I-A, who then introduced me to the world of chord changes and the swing eighth-notes.

Whoa-ah-!

My mind was blown. Kind of felt like watermelon man, myself. Definitely chopped and consumed.

What fun to play along and repeat "real" jazz.

Now, it's time for sleep!
Good night!

No comments: