Thursday, June 13, 2013

Found Object

I've moved a lot in my life and have left things in different places while I am in the process.  I happened to leave this pitcher with my sister and I don't know why I did. She brought up a box of stuff from the basement and I was so excited to see I hadn't lost this handmade joyful vessel to the moves of all time. This pitcher always makes me smile because it is generous, different, and still functional- a lot like me, I guess.

Anyway- I started with a nice warm-up and watercolor sketch. In real life, the colors are not this stark. I took the picture with a flash and the background turned out pink. The alternative is worse, so I am sticking with this one.
 
Ten Minute Warm-Up
The Happy Pitcher! I am so happy to still have it!!!
Next, I found a mug I liked in my sister's collection. I wouldn't call it a collection, actually, there are just lots of fun mugs in her kitchen. This one is cute and it was a challenge. I got the sketch done in watercolor, then went over the details with a blue Stabilo 0,4 marker. Sometimes it is better to leave well enough alone.

I took a picture of my painting and decided there should be more value within the cup and "wrecked" the painting. I just wish, sometimes, I would leave it alone and not over-work my work. Sometimes simple is best and it just seems like simple is not enough. But it IS. Ugh. I feel like I put too much value inside the cup and the fragile feel of the first draft got lost in the heaviness of the final draft.

Looks like a study of simplicity is on the way?


Sweet Mug! Cute and fun.

Final Painting

 

First Draft - Watercolor Sketch
 

No comments: