Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Addition

Just as I started typing, "What a Wonderful World" came on the radio. It truly is.
I was fortunate to see the baby hummingbirds take flight from the nest today. It was amazing to watch the little one teeter on the thin branch gaining balance and bravery before taking the leap from the certain comfort of the nest. Their little necks stretched and their little eyes blinked and if I had blinked, they would have been gone. They looked like little angels just hovering and then darting away.

The more "experienced" one flew first, I believe, and seemed to encourage the other by hovering close to the nest. Maybe it was teaching the other to fly? Whatever the purpose, the observation was lovely and sweet. They are in my heart and I have good pictures of them. Perhaps they will have their families in our nest. They are welcome any time.

I am in this position right now. I have a friend who is encouraging me to fly with my creations and to live the life I have imagined. She has the experience and is gaining balance to do exactly the same thing with her art. We are taking off and helping each other through a very interesting, growing and scary time. With faith and hope, we will get there. It is exciting and filled with so many moments of joy.

Thank you, my friend!

 Materials:
Canson XL 98lb Mixed Media Paper
Faber Castell Gelatos
Opaque Watercolor Cakes
Black Sharpie Marker


First step: tape border and fill in color with Faber Castell Gelatos. I'm so happy to be using color again!
Next, (ha! I just typed "nest") add water. Spread the smooth pigment all over the place with a thick synthetic brush.
This is where I added in the "China White" watercolor. Apparently, the gelato and China White watercolor do not get along very well. There is a streak of white in the central area of the piece. I had to mix the remainder of the white into the watercolor cakes to get the watercolor to work.
Here, I put more water on my brush and pulled the white through more of the watercolor. The gelato had rested a bit and was just a nice background for the opaque watercolor I layered on top.

Here, I wanted to preserve more color, so I mixed some red with the China White and created the melon-ish color within the petal-like shapes.
It seemed like I was done at this point, but it was missing something.
Again! It seemed so close to being done.        


Finally. I love spirals. I love the color. I am completing two goals with this piece and am linking to Creative Every Day, as well as Sketchbook Challenge. This bird is ready to fly!




























Linking to Creative Every Day and The Sketchbook Challenge

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. So nice to meet other creative girls by blogging. Your flower is very beautyfull.
Liefs, Melanie