Thursday, April 4, 2013

Back to it!

 Here is the very near final draft I posted at 11:59 p.m. I guess you could say I used the day for more than just this project because I'm close to finishing a big painting project for a friend and painted another mug. I also visited an art opening for a friend of a friend in Laguna Beach and rounded out the night with good company, including four of their five kids, at Ruby's Diner. It was a joy-filled day doing all of the things I love to do. I consider that a "first rate version" of myself. 

The "first rate" girl came home to the pooches jumping all over the place and read the clock as 10:00. Time to create! Fortunately, the quote in the piece is ready-made, courtesy of Artists in Blogland

I had envisioned the plan for how this would play out on paper and only had to actualize it. I don't usually create like that because I usually just go with a flow that shows up on its own. This quote challenge seemed good to me last month and I missed their cut-off time because it slipped my mind. So, this time, I put the challenge at the forefront and ta-da! Done. Plus, Judy Garland is one of my favorites, so that helped a lot.

It's odd I chose the "second rate version" to have hair piled up high, considering that is how my hair looks a lot of the time. Most of the time. OK, nearly all the time. But that reckons back to days where I got by with piling it up because I just didn't have much energy for anything else. Teaching does that to people sometimes- well, it did to me. Piling it up meant I didn't have to worry about it and could focus on everyone and everything around me and fire drills and vomit and raging kids and drama and not me. 

I figure, if I'm going to be a "first rate version" of myself, I need to consider me and take care of me. This is the first time in my life I am focused on taking care of me. There are areas I need some major improvement and a little at a time is working fine. Creating art is the most supreme self-care I can give me, these days. It is up to me to pile my hair up because I am too warm, or it is getting into my insalata caprese and I don't need hair in my mozzarella. 

The final version? Maybe. I'm not sure it's finished, but it is finished for this evening. I have had a wonderful day and thank you for visiting.

 Materials:
Canson XL 98lb Paper for Mixed Media
Prang Watercolor Ovals
Faber Castell Gelatos
Staedtler Fine Permanent Black Marker
 

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this quote and your painting! A wonderful reminder!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Dawn!

Beverley Baird said...

i really love your painting! Great composition . Art does save us - glad you are getting time to create.

Unknown said...

Thank You, Bev! I am so happy!L" I like your collages. So bright and filled with Love. Thanks for stopping here.

Abigail Davidson said...

Love your take on the quote and how you made it more personal by relating it to your own interests! And thank you for commenting on mine too.

AM Zafaran said...

I love your way of presenting the quote! Love both the images on the painting!

Unknown said...

Beautiful take on the quote! Love both versions!

Unknown said...

Thank you :)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! Thanks for taking the time to stop :)