Monday, April 22, 2013

While Waiting

 At home today, I prepared to take my car for an oil change and smog check by packing some watercolor pencils and a sharpener, a sketchbook, and my water brush. They had told me it would be about an hour for both of the services, so I wanted to be busy. 

In the shop, the car paperwork finished, I turned to sit in one of the chairs. There was a nice sized coffee table filled with magazines of all types. They were arranged very neatly and they covered the entire surface, one on top of the next, exposing only about three inches of each near the binding, or enough to spy which titles were available. 

I moved to the lower right corner, as I faced the check-in desk, and up from the array was a girl on the cover of Time Magazine. She stared with purpose. I recalled the story of a girl who had been shot by the Taliban for speaking out in favor of children's education. She has been included in Time's 100 Most Influential People and has also been nominated for the Children's Peace Prize.

Malala Yousufzai had become my subject for a sketch. I knew little about her, other than her passion for educating the children of the world. I have learned, according to articles written about her, about 6.1 million children in the world are not in school. This girl has made it her mission to do something about it. I admire her zeal, bravery, hope and courage to follow through with her dreams.

Since sketching her today, I have learned much about her and intend to follow her purpose with more intent. Voices like hers need to be heard.

This is the magazine from which I drew my sketch.(April/May 2013)If the picture doesn't appear, it is the Time Magazine issue with the 100 Most Influential People 


This is about as far as I got in an hour. It seems like I made her eyes too large. Also, unfortunately, I believe I made her look much older. This is something I am working on in my art. I am too anxious to add in the contrast and as a result, It is almost too dark, in my opinion. I may have to take the "29 Faces" challenge to improve in that area.

 
At home, I added in the black of her hair and surrounding burka. She is nearly finished. After taking the picture, I went back to adjust values. There is a big light area in the lower right that should have been filled in.
Maybe her eyes are too big. And her chin too small. But her stare is indeed intense. Upon reflection, I may have made her look older, but she is one who is wise beyond her years. She has seen much pain and terror. Art can be that way, right?
Malala Yousafzai, Time Magazine Cover, Apr./May 2013

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice portrait, I really love it!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the kind words!

Unknown said...

Beautiful portrait and inspiration.
Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Thank you for being here!