Sunday, April 14, 2013

Brush Play

Sometimes it is just fun to try out new supplies. Obviously, the watercolors are getting a run for their money, but I've been using traditional brushes until today. Pictured is a "Water Brush" from the Tim Holtz collection of art accessories. This brush is filled with water, so rather than dipping into a reservoir of liquid, the liquid inside can be squeezed through to the brush and then the watercolor is added to the brush. 

Today was an experiment. 
I really started to like the brush when I found out I could fade values from dark to light on the paper. It seems like, I just added the color as close to dry as I could, then just kept the brush moving while shading and lightening the pigment. 

This type of brush would be great for travel. It would be easy to put it in the quart-sized bag for air travel, or just pack it empty and fill it with the wonderful water on board the plane. Since I've started painting, I've been longing for a way to take supplies with me no matter where that might be, and the Holtz water brush pen seems like the clear choice. And-
It's fun.

I'm looking forward to further experimentation with this new tool. 
Smiles, and thanks for stopping today!
 



 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done ~ love the design and color combination ~ wonderful for CED ^_^

Lindsay said...

I use one of these too while traveling! Great color study. :)