Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day

I've read from Anne LaMott about how much she hates Mother's day. Don't get me wrong, it's not because there are Moms, and she is one herself. It's more like, why aren't other women celebrated for being Mom-like when they have no babies of their own, or why is it just one day?

There are so many other types of mothers in this world who don't fit with the Hallmark description. LaMott writes, "[Mother's Day] celebrates the great lie about women: That those with children are more important than those without."

The truth about the lie is so hard to stomach. There are a lot of mommas out there who do so much, but don't have little ones at the table with them today. They help make our world a kinder and caring place.

I spent the evening with a friend who has no children of her own. She hosts us at her house, cooks for us, loves us like her own, and makes her home ours to find comfort. She takes care of us, like your Mom. (see what i did there?) Today, she is hosting Mother's Day at her home for her husband's parents. She cuts no corners and cares deeply.

But,
Mother's Day is not for her?
She doesn't have her own kids.
I'll be wishing her a Happy Mother's Day, today.

I'm not sure people really know how painful this holiday is for so many mommas. There are tons of reasons, too many to mention, but like infertility struggles, birth moms, single moms, and four-legged or winged mommas, the reasons are there.

Teachers who serve as Mom during the day because there is no Mom at home.

And the friend whose Mom has just passed away and nothing comes easy on this day.

The list is endless, but it is very real.

I'm not saying we should cancel the holiday. I believe the scope should be wider, but know that won't happen, really.

It still comes down to the mommas with kids.
It's not wrong, it's just tradition.

I love my Mom!
To ALL my Mommas, too!
Happy Mother's Day!
I CELEBRATE YOU.

No comments: