Sunday, May 12, 2013

Re-Work It

I believe this piece was destined for the trash can.

It started fine enough with watercolor swirls and then the dashes. I was using a brush that could be used for watercolor calligraphy, so I wanted to practice brush angle a bit with curls and loops.

Next, the empty loops got filled with blues, greens and purples. I traced the existing curvy lines with other colors to help create interest. It started to be nothing I wanted to see.

The dashes really saved it all.

Dipping the brush into greens and blues was really satisfying. It began to look like, "maybe I should have done that with the whole piece," bitty I didn't want to start over.

The hope was there.

I find such peace in the blues and greens of life. As summer approaches, cool colors sort of bring relief in a house that is too hot. We don't have air conditioning in the whole house and I was raised on the a.c. This summer will bring new challenges to keep cool.

These colors helped bring me to a much cooler place tonight. And what color, but white, is the coolest of them all? "What's cooler than being cool? Ice Cold. Alright, Alright, alright...." I got out the Faber Castell opaque watercolors only to use the white tonight. It's been awhile, but glad to have tried it.

The rest of the story is painted in white. In my mind, this piece took the fast track from garbage to gallery in just a few minutes. Hope is alive and well.

I like it now.

Maybe the path isn't just right. I'll have to re-examine and bring in a familiar element to move on.

Hope is present.
The challenge is on.

Materials:
Canson XL Mixed Media 90lb paper
Prang watercolor ovals
Faber Castell opaque watercolor

No comments: