Saturday, August 3, 2013

Drips

It was a good day to clean out my watercolors and I had just been thinking how nice it would be to have a clean mixing tray- when I found out I could use the drips of paint for today's prompt, DPP#3, drips.

In general, I've been using Prang watercolor and just using the case for mixing. So I took the case to the sink, put a little water in the sections, and used a paintbrush to get the little nooks and crannies clean. Next, I just poured the painty water onto watercolor paper.

After getting all of those nice drip trails, I added some more solid pigment to get a more interesting composition. The paper had been a mop-up piece, so there was some muddy color already in place. I let the paper dry in the sun because I'm just that impatient.

But, then I let it sit all day, anyway.

I had some fun at my art desk creating other drippy creations because I wasn't quite satisfied with the other mess I had made. I used some "real" watercolors, left to me by my grandmother, experimented with candy wrapper collage, found out some old watercolors were gooey because they were indeed oils, but I digress....

Finally, as the day became night, I thought of a creation Grandma had made by tearing strips of "unsatisfactory" paintings she'd made and wove together. I took out my paper cutter for my experiment, cut the paper in half lengthwise, and measured half-inch strips.

The weaving was fun and really cool to plan where the orange and teal would show through. It was a really fun hands-on composition that I plan to do again for a friend's gift.

It was fun to relax and just create with this one.

No comments: