Saturday, August 31, 2013

Documenting Color

When a set of water colors was passed down, it seemed to me like complete treasure. Yet, I felt charged with a great responsibility to use the color wisely and to I arry on where Grandma left off. I know I've written about being present at her Palette Club and I want to share a few more things.

Upon going through the palette itself, I discovered something amazing colors. I've been particularly drawn to the quinacridone violet and opera rose. Nearly every painting I've made in the past month Becaushas those two colors included, somehow.

And I love the white!

While working tonight, I discovered I needed more white on the palette and finally read the label- it's an official gouache! The gouache set I bought a few weeks ago is really cheap, but not Grandma's. This white is so awesome. It is opaque and mixes very nicely with the watercolors. I love painting white over some really bright colors and seeing it change the whole piece.

Grandma left two palettes: one is portable and the other is large with a lid. She used to bring the large one to Palette Club and I was reminded of the time she asked to borrow some of my orange. I remember being sort of embarrassed because I had no idea how good or bad the watercolors would prove to be. I had a different set of cheap watercolors, but that didn't seem to matter to her. I'm glad she used the orange in her palette because such a simple thing brought sweet memories to me today and because it is still there.

It makes me sad to know that the watercolors are going to have to be replaced after I use them up, but on the other hand, I know how happy Grandma would have been to know that I putting her supplies to good use.

The picture is for a Daisy Yellow prompt on documenting colorful art materials. Mostly, this type of information sits in my head, so I'm glad to have it on paper. I haven't decided how I'm going to keep these strips of paper, but I think I could maybe see them in a bunting. The thought of it makes me smile.

I am so grateful for these supplies and the courage to put them to use. I am also thankful for a reprieve from the heat. I hope to get some sleep tonight.

Have a great day!

2 comments:

Rita said...

That is so cool. Thanks for sharing!

Arty Auntie said...

I love the story of your grandmother's paints. One of my Aunts was a very talented artist, and I got quite a few supplies from her cache and was thrilled to get them. I feel the love you feel when using these materials. Thanks for the memories.