Sunday, August 11, 2013

Ogee 'Pom' Pattern

While walking the dogs the other day, I saw a bush that had bright red fruits on it. I thought it was really strange because apples around here seem to be golden yellow with a little red blush. So the red fruits caught my interest.

We walked a little closer and found out the fruits were pomegranates. The fruits closer to the top of the bush were starting to ripen and get really full and round, while the ones within reach were really still pretty small. I was surprised to find out that they grow at the absolute end of a branch, rather than hang from a branch like an apple. It was great to learn something new.

The pomegranate popped into my mind when I was trying to figure out something to do for the "Ogee Pattern" prompt from the Daisy Yellow Daily Paper Prompts. I'm big into patterns and I thought this would be a great idea- the pomegranates fit together perfectly for this purpose. I just couldn't wait to get started!

I used the 140lb. watercolor paper, Grandma's watercolors (You can see she wrote the color names on the edge. Always makes me smile :), a picture for the fruit and leaves from the real bush. I figured it probably wouldn't be polite to pull a pomegranate off of a tree that doesn't belong to me. The picture was just right!

I loved making the pomegranates come alive on paper. I am so thankful to be able to share them with everyone.

No comments: