Thursday, August 1, 2013

Rainbow

Rainbow is the start of the new prompts from DaisyYellow.com. Like the index-card-a-day, she provided the prompt, but we can go at our own pace for these and they must be done in order.

I love rainbows and anytime I see when I stop and take a picture. I've even stopped on long road trips just to get a shot at one of nature's most beautiful gifts.

When I saw today's prompt was rainbow, my heart skipped a beat. As a kid, I used to draw two clouds and connect them with the rainbow. Now, I didn't really want to make a landscape, nor did I want to make the drawing of the past. I wanted something new and to somehow incorporate sunrise and sunset- because that is when you can see the full spectrum of light in the sky and it is so beautiful.

I used some 140lb watercolor paper and Derwent watercolor pencils. I put down the roy-g-biv and used a paint brush to melt the pigment. Next, and added some Prang watercolor and just kept going.

I kept reviewing and adding contrast, darkening and finding flow. The colors spoke for themselves, and soon enough, I took a break. I actually looked at Day 2's prompt for "window" and got out the Sharpie.

I started making my own windows of color. I made scapes inside of windows of all shapes and sizes. Then, I took another watercolor pencil and made some other markings balance everything out a little bit.

Finally, I used a water brush to erase the streams of watercolor between the frames. The result is a composition filled with little windows of color.

Carpe Diem!
Seize the day!

No comments: