Monday, February 25, 2013

Believe

In preparation for my class on Wednesday, I've been working with the media that will be provided that night. Until now, I've really only looked at examples online and have come across some difficulty when it comes to executing the project. 

First, I probably made some enemies I'll never know since I announced the possibility of album covers as the "canvas" today. I've learned to just stick with it. I'll be painting some canvases tomorrow in order to supply the correct media, as explained in the MeetUp listing. Yeah, I probably would have been a little miffed if part of a class I'd looked forward to had changed. 

The project is actually all the same, however, only the base would change. But, I would be disappointed. I should have just kept quiet. And by the way, I came up with a really cool way to hang the record on the wall by using a wire pants hanger. It's all good! I'll list it as a different workshop night and all will be well with the world. 

Ugh. It still bugs me. 

Second, I test-drove the project at my friend's house today. She actually had some 5x7 canvases that she wanted for their frames. They were thick acrylic paintings and I wondered, if one of these shows up on Wednesday, what would I do? So I sanded the points and textures off a bit so the letters would stick to the surface. From what I've found, just about all of the letters allow a little bleeding of paint, so I'll try spray painting a layer first tomorrow and keep trying until I get what I need. 

Third, chip board letters don't stick very well to painted surfaces. It seemed like I touched up my friend's painting more than I had painted in the first place. It came out alright, but I decided a canvas larger than 5x7 will heed better results. It seems like, the larger the vinyl letter, the better the coverage. Oddly enough, the bleed is about the same regardless of the size of the letters. So, don't waste any money on the 4: letters. Skip the 1: letters, and go for the two inch letters. 

I'm also trying a stencil adhesive tomorrow on some more of the experimental canvases. It would be nice to know that at least ONE way of painting on the letters will allow less paint bleed. Fortunately, the vinyl letters are replaceable, as well as reusable. 

There were some great bonuses today, though. 
  • I had coffee with my very good friend
  • My car started
  • A fellow blogger helped with advice for making art prints
  • I found a paper store (swoon!)
  • I saw hummingbird mama
One of my former students messaged me about his new precious baby girl. I am happy, yet saddened, at the idea of someone so young parenting a baby. He is very intelligent and that baby will be well cared for. Those first few days of life are so precious! I am happy for him and his girlfriend.

Back to the paint world, there will be more ore about the 'guinea pig' projects tomorrow.

The same friend who asked me over for coffee today asked me to do "believe" for her. It is the word she carries with her every day this year.  Finally, my friend, here is ONE! More to come, awesome friend!
And, I just have to believe everything will be ok. 

Cheers, Kim

Materials: Artist's loft 90lb Watercolor Paper and Prange Watercolor Cakes


  
Below is a 5x7 Canvas Guinea Pig.
And here is an 8x10 canvas. 
 
they're good guinea pigs. 
More tomorrow! 

3 comments:

pauline said...

Kim, i really love that *believe*... love the background colors and those little squares... beautiful. And those guinea pig canvases are really fun too. Love all the space above the word... happy Thursday! xox

maryann said...

these are great! thank you for sharing!
i can't quite figure out how you did them, though, even though
i read what you wrote. (i'm not
very good at figuring out how to
do stuff by reading about it.
dang! :)) anyway, are you saying
that you put down vinyl letters,
painted over them, and then removed
them? if so, did you do that for
the one with the word believe on it
as well? (that one looks different
than the other two to me, that's
why I'm asking.)
thanks for any help you can give!

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting! I'm not sure why the reply button is absent, but I'll hope you get notification of this post. Hugs, Pauline!

You were right, Maryann, the 'Believe' is different than 'Love' and 'Grow'. 'Believe' was done with paper sticker letters and I just held them in place as I painted watercolor around them.

The canvases were painted with acrylic and I used the vinyl letters on those. I stuck the vinyl letters onto the canvas and painted right over them. I didn't let them dry fully because I am so impatient...but after about fifteen minutes I removed the letters, just like you thought. There was a little paint bleed under them, but I worked it in until I liked it.

I hope this answers your questions and I will be happy to answer more! Thank you so much for dropping by my blog :)