Saturday, February 23, 2013

Forward

In 1993, a friend of mine offered to drive me to California for a Disneyland Band audition. I was in college and had no means for travel, so he decided to help me. His wife and I were friends from school and they had two kids at the time. We really only went for the day, having left Vegas that morning in the car before sunrise and returned home well into the morning hours of the following day. But after the audition was over, he took me and his daughter to the Disneyland Park. I kept wondering how I could ever repay him for the generosity of time and money. One thing was certain, it wouldn't have happened very soon.   

So I asked him about it. 

He told me I wasn't allowed to pay him back. On the contrary, he wanted me to find someone to whom I could help in the future. 
He knew I would have an opportunity to pay it forward, so I didn't hear much more about it. 

Ever since, I've found so many ways to Pay it Forward with people I know and some I truly do not know. It really means something to be kind and also help someone when possible, especially if they are in the position where they cannot do what you do for them.  

Just to give you an idea of some samples, I've attached the following link: http://payitforwardday.com/

Also, I saw the movie, "Pay It Forward" with my Grandma at the dollar theater in Hopkins, MN back in probably 2002. The movie has some great views of Vegas and it was a joy to share the city with her, considering she might never visit the town.  The concept of the movie was so beautiful, to pay forward to someone who cannot possibly do for themselves, and I fell in love with it. 

So now, find a way to give to someone who could never do it for themselves. 
Try it.
Have some fun!
Do good and carry on!
Love, Always

Materials:
Grandma's Watercolor Palette
Faber Castell Watercolor cakes
Staedtler Fine Permanent Marker

No comments: