Sunday, February 17, 2013

Gratitude

Today was so beautiful.

My friend and I wandered throughout the shops of Laguna Beach and got some fresh air on the boardwalk. There are so many little nooks filled with the fun and whimsical to keep a heart singing. The ocean air is so relaxing and the sun warmed our faces. We ate well, had a series of little treats and just enjoyed being friends and the company. She is the first friend to visit since I moved in September and I have a grateful heart.

I kept my family in mind as the day passed. In Minnesota, my sisters and brother in-law went for the day to Spicer to be with my great-aunt. I got a picture of them with her and she looks wonderful, though I know her heart is probably hurting. The picture helped me feel like I got a hug, too. Hoping better days are ahead.

One of our last stops was into an art supply shop. I almost bought some Verithin pencils, but almost fell over when I spotted the PeBeo kit for painting porcelain. The kit comes with the basic colors so they can be mixed to make whatever I want on a piece. I can also re-use mugs from thrift stores and spruce up the ones I already have. The kit was on sale for $29.99 and cost nearly the same amount I paid at Color Me Mine yesterday. Even if I get only three pieces for the kit, I will have paid for itself because of the other two mugs I have made in the past.

I am so excited! In fact, my friend told me she saw me excited like that when I won the Gelatos at the scrapbooking show last spring. Look where the Gelatos have taken me! I cannot wait to play with the ceramic paints. Another friend thought painting on mugs would give her and others a way to "take a little Kim with them wherever they go." I blush at that, but if it makes them happy, for sure I'll be happy.

The piece for today, as it's been for the last couple of days, started completely different. It was just a plain heart followed by an intricate design that I promptly painted over in blue. For some reason, I have been drawn to the white paint. I can completely change to look and feel of a piece by mixing the white opaque into other colors. I love the effect it gives me. I hadn't planned on it, but the heart almost looks three dimensional around the edge. 

I have a grateful heart.

Materials:
Canson 120lb Watercolor Paper
Faber Castell Watercolor Cakes

And Happy Birthday to my Mom's Sister today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lots of divine energy in your heart creation ~ Beautiful!