Friday, February 22, 2013

Mix It

Today was a day to just make things.

From the picture, note one of my favorite quotations from Aristotle, "You are what you repeatedly do". I've seen it in many incarnations, but this one is good. It's been there as I've moved through the different seasons of life. I also know this saying as, "Be careful what you practice, for what you practice, you will become."

Good old Aristotle. The saying can be interpreted in so many different ways. I prefer to know it in a positive light, but it can also be negative. If one practices deceit and ill-will, it is certain one will become very deceitful and wrong. On the other hand, if one seeks to serve others and does so, one becomes very thoughtful and full of good will with the action necessary, of course. 

I've practiced so many things over time: music, art, teaching, love, life and fun. Recently the practice of art has been such a blessing. I've been practicing every day and have never given art such a chance. I am excited to find out just where this year will lead me, but I hold out hope for simply becoming a better artist. 
And if Aristotle is correct, the practice will eventually label me "artist" as I continue to work on a daily basis.

Just below the quote is a card with orange daisies that are based loosely on the gerbera daisy. I'd intended to get that one ready to send today, but I will revisit it tomorrow, as the paper got really soaked and changed with all of the moisture. I used lots of supplies on that one, including a pearly stamp pad, markers and colored pencils. It's a new look for me, but I enjoy the fact those who will receive it will be equally happy with it. 

While sorting last week, I found a bridal shower invitation I made for my sister in-law's celebration. When it showed up in my stuff, I was excited to see it, but also thought it had been made with a rubber stamp. Though I like stamps, this time was just me. No stamp was damaged in the work of me on this project....lol only glitter pens....

If we're thinking 'clockwise' in the photo, four o"clock holds the turquoise heart I cut from a pack of natural papers. Today I glued it onto the brown background and chose to (later) hang the heart on my cork board. By the way, I need more cork board. I'd like areas to pin things all around that cabinet...but I digress.
The turquoise heart is textured and scored to show a nice spiral and wavy relief. Yeah, I punched out that heart in about 2006 for Valentine's Day. It's meant a lot to me,I don't know why, and though I never knew what to do with it. Now it has a home on my boards. 

Finally, I made the heart card, to be mailed tomorrow. I've loved the turquoise heart so much that I thought a black and white might be a nice way to represent such a cool sculptural paper heart. They are not exactly the same, but that's ok. I love the way it's turned out as a simple black and white. This study also means I could soon start in color to try and make a go of the design in different colors. This heart has been mailed and I will not reveal the owner unless it's OK by the receiver.

Oh yeah! There is also a little drawing with a bouquet of flowers on the desk top and under the heart card. I used mostly colored markers to make that card. It was fun to experiment! And the mug is in the background. I really feel the mug is the beginner's world I will reveal the ceramic soon, but not now.

If you're wondering, the Angry birds came from a couple of really sweet neighborhood girls. Their dog, Roxy, is the girlfriend of Buck and Louis. Sometimes they send me artwork and I love it! I also made them some cupcakes for Valentine's Day and they were overjoyed.

Enjoy the weekend!
KC



2 comments:

Zue said...

I really like your heart card. It looks like it is done with charcoal..
xx
Sue

Unknown said...

Thank you, Sue.
That is a fine compliment! The aquarelle is a lot less messy....
Thanks again for stopping by!
Hugs,
Kim