Monday, February 4, 2013

Light Hearted Re-Use

Remember the hearts from A Beautiful Family? I used them again today to paint this one. They were set down like a stencil as I painted the watercolor on top and onto the paper. I formed the border with tape after tracing the glass of the frame. The image is actually pretty small, maybe 2.5"x5"in order to fit into a thrifted frame I bought before Christmas. I realize I should be sure my pieces fit in a nice frame after my friend Kristin framed the piece I donated for the Breast Cancer Auction in Memphis. She mentioned the size was tricky to frame [without spending a lot] so I have decided to change things up a little and use thrifted frames as part as my inspiration.

My intention is to post this one on Etsy, in the frame, for sale as soon as possible. I know it is possible it won't sell for Valentine's Day, but it is possible it will. By using the thrifted frame, the painting can arrive in a frame ready for giving. After that, it will be up to the owner to change frames if so desired, but I can keep costs low this way, re-use materials, and make original art affordable. I'd like to be sure my paintings can fit into standard frames and mats.


Here is a picture of the cabinet I've turned into a work area. I would like to keep the surface rather clear in order to have an active creating space. The pull-out desk face can be used to put active projects, sketchbooks, the laptop, an out-of-the-way sharpener or anything else. But it will be a challenge to keep the active creating space. I have a tendency to cover all surfaces, table tops, anything flat because there are so many things to see. Ugh. That really translates into the fact I have a junk problem. And that, is an eternal challenge.

Take a look at the green fleece blanket on the bottom shelf. That is the tiny space my two doggies occupied while I was working. I tried to get a picture, but it wasn't turning out right. As I type right now, Buck is on my left side curled in a comma and Louis is draped over my left arm with his right paw hanging on me in a hug. These dogs keep me cozy and they are sweet loves of rescued dogs and I highly recommend saving one or two if the opportunity presents itself. There are lots of memes out there asking, "Who Saved Who?" about rescued pooches. Mine give love every day. 

No comments: