Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sweet and Tiny Victories

Recently, my car has been draining all of its battery energy somehow and it hasn't been the alternator. In fact, AAA even said so. My sweetie is pretty sure it is the after-market alarm that is malfunctioning and draining the battery. Also, I haven't driven it much since living here. 

So imagine my surprise when I went out to the car today to run some errands and it started without any assistance! Hooray! So many of my new friends only know this non-working car thing and have graciously helped me out when I needed it. Could this be the beginning of charge-free days? It would be nice to feel like I have a working automobile again. It is a small victory to be driving without having to charge up for an hour or so. 

The picture below is also a tiny victory! This little hummingbird mama lives right outside my front door. Her nest hangs onto less than a fully formed branch of this tree and today was really windy. The house howled and our dog Louis nearly began to sing with it. I am filled with such joy because seeing this tiny mama is so precious and I know her babies are about the size of peas in that nest. And it's funny, walking out the door, or coming in from a walk, hummingbird mama buzzes my head. I thought we had bees! But no, she was just buzzing the tower to let me know she won't put up with my interruptions. Still. I love seeing her and checking if she's there. It's amazing. Her tiny victory is her tiny nest and architectural skill to cling in such heavy winds. All is safe and she is fine. Nest is intact. 



Here is a victory I created today. I have a class to teach on Wednesday and needed what we teachers call an exemplar. I am actually only semi-thrilled because I have had to change my original plan. The idea was to take a thrift store painting, apply vinyl letters (there is definitely a reason they must be vinyl) and paint over the surface with acrylic paint. Once the surface dries, the letters can be pulled off exposing the color/s of the original painting along with some motivational or inspirational phrase. The idea is to re-use items rather than purchasing everything new for a craft.

There really aren't a lot of thrift store paintings around that are A.) cheap and B.) colorful. So I have come up with an alternate plan. I purchased thrift store record albums with fun art or color on the cover to create the project, instead. I thought smaller letters would be good for a smaller item, but I was wrong. This type of project screams out for larger letters so that the background can shine through. Ugh. I'll just have to return the small letters in exchange for the next size up. 

The letters used for this project were sticky-backed letters, but the front of the sticker is made of paper. After painting, the paper was really difficult to remove. Also, I left the boundary around the edge and will be covering that. I thought it would be good to leave it, but with a frame, I won't have to worry. Will update after my "class" has finished their projects.
Finally, this is the piece I made for today. I suppose the shapes are reminiscent of flowers. What do  
you think?

Materials:
Faber Castell Watercolor Cakes
Artist's Loft Paper, 90 lb.

No comments: