Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Very Fishy

There are a bunch of Valentines I made today, but the fishy thing is nobody can see them but the recipients until Valentine's Day. As a result, and in an effort to keep my word of posting a creation daily, I have drawn something "sweet" for the Sketchbook Challenge

I took a photo this time because I wanted to get as much detail in as possible because the color of the candy is so saturated. The result is lighter than I wish it to be, but it is on the right track for color duplication. I am on the search for a good set of Prismacolor Verithin Colored Pencils because they lend a finer layer of color over the traditional thick-lead Prismacolor pencils. I had a set of them at one time in my life, but after a series of interstate moves, the pencils have not presented themselves. More than likely, they were accidentally left in Minnesota more than five years ago. 

I can picture the container that held them. In 2007, I really did try to pack up as many art supplies as I could in order to not have to buy them again once I got settled in Vegas. Once I started teaching there was no way I even thought of using them because I just didn't believe I had the time to let go and just be free. Even in the summer, I might have cracked the case open a few times, but never really accomplished much. I started art and never completed it back then.That was the time period where I created all of those half-hearted pieces that I finished just a few weeks ago in January. 

I am so thankful I have the opportunity to explore my art now.
By the way, the fish below closely resembles the first fish I ever caught as a kid; A minnow.

(Below) Somewhat tasty copy, but certainly not as sweet. I wasn't able to get enough of the shine I sought, or the depth of color, but I'll try a different medium and see what happens some other time. Watercolor might help. I'm just used to the level of control I can get with colored pencil.
It was a good catch and the sketch is about three times the size of the original fish.

Materials:
Prismacolor Colored Pencils
Canson XL MixMedia 98lb. paper
Swedish Fish

 

(Original Fishy) YUM! 
I took the bait like other artists did on the Sketchbook Challenge page and took a picture in order to then EAT the subject. Or two. Or three. 
Ok, a lot.




No comments: