Thursday, February 7, 2013

Long Distance Dedication

Today is a very weird day.

First, I woke from a really weird dream that basically ended with somebody from my former married life yelling at me and throwing a bicycle through a big window. I had just told him that riding our bikes across the country after getting rid of our possessions was not a fine idea. The good thing is it was a dream. 

Next, in local reality, there is an ex-cop who has written a manifesto and has carried out two premeditated murders against the LAPD force and then shot at random officers this morning and killed another. It's been an unsettled day in Southern California. The man is at-large and they recovered his burned vehicle in the mountains near Big Bear. I hope they locate him.

Finally, the school district where I used to work has settled arbitration and the District has won. This means pay cuts for people I know in a district that is huge and largely disconnected from its teachers. That is my opinion, but when there are greater than twenty thousand teachers in a district, how is it higher administration can provide adequate morale or proper support for its staffing? Difficult is just is the beginning. Professional athletes receive hundreds of millions of dollars and teachers? Well, we never did do it for the money, but a teacher has to eat!

It has been an unfair day all around. All of these things I can truly do nothing about, really, but I can support my friends in their frustrations, un-glue myself from the television, and hope I don't have the same dreams tonight.

With that being written, I've been saying prayers today for all the sadness and strife going on all over the place.Hope comes through again- and so does the light. 
But it takes the dark to see the light and with that, the blues help encourage celebration. 
Here's to hope for a celebration - sooner than later, I hope!

Materials: 
Canson XL Mixed Media 98lb paper
Prang Watercolor
Staedtler Black Permanent Fine pt. Marker

 

No comments: