Saturday, February 16, 2013

Try Something Different

My friend's vacation weekend started with our doggie walk, then breakfast at Polly's Pies. They had some amazing waffle with cherry streussel on top and good price to go with it. Afterward, we went to a local "Color Me Mine" to paint our annual mug.


We each have two mugs already and have now painted a third. I guess the point of the whole day is based on disappointment experienced throughout the afternoon. We have been to other CMM shops and have had excellent experiences. This time was ok, but different. 


We planned out our designs and asked for the chosen glaze colors. In the past, there have been pin-point containers to help with tiny lettering or sweet final touches. However, today, there was no such tool and the public service girl said they "only had black." Black wasn't the color scheme I had planned for, so I had to try something else. None of the brushes matched the quality of the ones I have at home, even if they are just for "beginners". The only thing I could do was make an experiment. I wanted the words on that mug. If they do not show up, I will know I tried.

So, with a only pencil, I started carving letters into the layers of glaze I put onto the mug and started hoping for the best. I really like putting a quotation on my mugs because words mean a lot and seeing my favorites brightens my day whenever I use said mugs. I really do not know how the mug will turn out because I had to take an entirely different approach to lettering in order to get my thought out and onto that mug. 

But that is just it.

Sometimes the plan looks like all will fall into place as expected and probably more times than not, changes have to be made because the plans we make and the ones God makes are similar, but I really need to listen to the sweet urgings from above to color a little outside of the lines and relax. And really, rather than stick to something I really don't like, I just can't understand why I didn't just start playing and having fun, instead. Why is it people stay with things they really don't like? A job? A significant other? A house? It baffles me. Move on. Find what you love.

My mug had certain boundaries of three different colors and by the end, there were four total colors on my piece and I have no real idea how it will look when it is done. I am thankful to be shown today that the plan I make is not necessarily the one, or many,that the big guy upstairs has in mind for me, but it worked for today. I planned for some of it, but the rest is truly a blessing no matter how much it seems to differ from the original.


Until then;
Materials:
Canson 120lb Watercolor paper
Faber Castell Watercolor cakes
Pilot Extra Fine Point Gold Permanent Paint Marker

 

Here's the mug from earlier today! 

No comments: