Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Blue Angel


 This is the Angel of Las Vegas.

She's been there for years just watching over the city while rotating on her pedestal.
I got this picture on the day I left Las Vegas for the second time.
There had been times when I thought it would be fun to capture her on film, but for whatever reason, I just passed by smiling back at the blue girl. 

On this day, the weather had threatened rain for the duration. It was finally time to pick up the moving truck and I was nervous about finding the location of the rental place. The clouds were magnificent all summer long and this day was no exception. There were so many days filled with the sun's rays shining down filling a sad city with hope. 

As we followed the phone-navigation, I noticed the Blue Angel Motel right next door to the truck rental place. The motel's been closed for a few years and the doors and windows are boarded. I have an appreciation for Las Vegas history and wish I could have seen this beauty in her time. But now, the paint is cracked and peeling off of her sign, yet she remains clean and well decorated. 

The clouds opened a little above her and it was confirmation for me. It was like she promised to watch over my students, friends, and all visitors to her great city. She let me know peace would follow my departure. 

I miss the city and all of my friends a great deal and it's ok to be sad through transition. Every day is an opportunity for me to grow into my new surroundings with joy. I love my new home! It was really hard to leave Las Vegas this time. I have so much fulfillment in my life now, but a big part of my heart will always belong to Vegas- its people, the mountains, and the desert. 

Instagram Photo: 8/31/12
Cropped Instagram Image:
 
  Blue Angel
Materials:
Black All-Stabilo Aquarelle Pencil
Water
Artist's Loft 90lb Watercolor Paper

No comments: