Monday, March 4, 2013

Grace

Today is a first.

I learned how to stitch beads together to make something new. I've never done it, but since it is part of the Bead Challenge, it's a start and I could like using beads this way. Just the discovery that there are so many different ways to "weave" beads together is big, and I hope to make some more. 

This project is unfinished and it is supposed to become spherical, but I got a little lost on this try. The directions are found here and I will revisit them to try again. It's fun and new- they say the brain grows when learning something new. Just maybe there are a few new cells today.


 
The painting just showed up.
It is an image about 5in. by 7in. made with watercolor and paper sticker letters. A picture of the sticker letters can be found below. I bought the stickers at Office Max, but threw out the packaging, so I don't know the name. I like them because there are so many letters in the stacks and the font is simple and fun.

Typically, I just hold these type of letters in place and paint around them. If I stick them down, they won't come up from the paper very easily. They are cute letters, but their style, as paper letters, is off for this piece. I certainly like how the grace seems to come out through the darkness. 

The texture is created from a nearly dry brush and cross-hatching through the existing paint. I'd like to say this technique is becoming mine. I know I don't paint traditional watercolors, but this is me. I dig it. That is all that matters, right?




 

2 comments:

G.Dowell said...

I like your watercolor technique. I think it works well.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind words, Gayle. And thanks for taking the time to look today. Cheers!