Thursday, January 10, 2013

Remembrance of Twenty Little Souls

This is a post I made on Facebook last month, but the art has been swimming around since. Today, it fell to paper and I am thankful.
12.18.12 Thankful for everybody who works in schools. We practice the drills, and hope the unthinkable will never occur.

In my experience, middle school kids usually don't seem to care much, for to them, it's time away from class to see friends. Yet, I once had a class who did so well with their drills all year long- no funny business- and I never had to tell them- I rewarded them with Panda Express at the end of the year. It was just a small token to let them know I really cared about them and their safety.

All drills were no laughing matter for me. My kids meant too much to me. I rarely yelled, but told them, I might yell over the noise of the alarm if I ever had to get their attention. They knew that was serious.

I lift my heart to the teachers and staff who had the courage to face a horrible fate, but saved so many when they did. They stood up to danger, looked it right in the face.

The custodian, who, in some schools is sometimes overlooked and underappreciated, ran through the halls protecting the children he loved everyday, not just on occasion.

The principal was not locked in an office somewhere, but facing down a nightmare. Standing up for her world- her school.

And the children. My heart is broken. It breaks any time I see those faces. My sister teaches first grade, and she shared a story of how honest and sweet they are in first grade just days before the incident in CT. I can't wait to hug my sister! Her kids were playing rock, paper, scissors with mittens on and simply told each other the sign they held inside and went on with their play. That is what makes me so sad. Sweet, playful innocence.

If you got this far, thanks for reading. It's clear we are all struggling with the events and horror that took place.

Be kind, hug a teacher, hug a custodian, and a principal. Hope that kids will be calm and listen to their teachers. Hope that this nation will finally understand the value of a teacher and how we, really, don't do it for the money. Hug everybody a little closer- not just after a crisis, but everyday.
Let love rule.  

No comments: