Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The story of Us

Me + You = Us

We have been together for just about two and a half years, but have known each other since the sixth grade. He drove to Vegas from California nearly every weekend for the better part of two school years very recently and I moved to him this past September. I am so thankful we are in the same place, breathing the same air, hanging out with our pooches and creating a life together.

We had some conversation heart candy tonight and they taste a lot better than I remember. They used to have that sort of chalky taste, or maybe even Necco-ness of the past, but there seems to be more fruit flavor these days. I bought the little box a few weeks ago on an artsy craft excursion to Michaels and I've been wanting to put some of them down on paper. This is what I got tonight.

This month is the most I have worked with watercolor ever. I've usually been very attached to colored pencils because they offer great control, but the problem is colored pencil takes a lot of time for the deliberate detail I wish to see. It takes layers upon layers of color to get the exact style and feel. Plus, I am in need of a set of Verithin Prismacolor pencils in order to achieve the best effects for me. Valentine's Day is not far away....

Until then, I have really enjoyed working with the watercolor medium. I realize the way I've been using them seems to look a little more like acrylic, but acrylic is next on my list of explorations. Also, I have never used gouache, but I've been told it looks like I have. I don't even know what that means, really and I am willing to find out.

Light and shadow make the heart stand out. Quite simply, neither does well without the other in existence. They can exist separately, but together they compliment one another and create a very expressive and interesting space. Kind of like me and my sweetie.

Cheers, for tomorrow is the last of January!



Materials:
Strathmore Windmill Watercolor Paper, 140 lb. 9x12
Faber Castell Watercolor Cakes

No comments: