Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Possible Donation

Recently, one of my friends posted on fb about having a dream so very real that she expected to find evidence of any of it happening and none was found.  Mine wasn't that extreme last night, but it was interesting. I know I was with friends, but am not sure who they were because it was dream style. I do know it seemed like they had been planning something and were trying to be sure I wouldn't go where the surprise lurked. Suddenly, like in any dream, I saw my Dad standing there looking at me. For those who don't know, he wore glasses every day and had a dark mustache with blue eyes. In the dream, his glasses were gone and his eyes shone the brightest blue I 'd ever seen. It was like my friends set it up so we would just run into him. When I finally made the connection, I screamed, ran to him, hugged him and started weeping! Heavy weeping! It was only a dream, but I feel like he was here today telling me to keep my chin up and to be happy. It was awesome!

I just had to share because Mom celebrates this day alone now. Nobody should ever have to outlive the spouse. There will be a time, far away in the heavens, when we will all be together again. I just have to believe it!

The rest of the morning was spent chatting with a Vegas friend who I miss dearly. I miss all of my friends! I believe in silver and gold friends. And with precious metals as these, once they are my friends, my friends they will always be. And I got to chat with a former middle school buddy from wayyyy back about some health issues, as well. It's all good! Friends are truly the best and are there for us when we need them- especially if we need to get warm :)

For the past couple of years, a dear friend of mine from all the way back in middle school, now lives in Memphis and has invited me to attend a benefit for Breast Cancer. Last year, I thought it would be fun to have donated something creative for the auction, but I ran out of time once I started back teaching after the holiday break. Since my own Mother is a Breast Cancer Survivor, I knew I wanted to make good on a donation of some sort, so this year I really am donating a piece of artwork to the 5th Annual Think Pink Luncheon, Fashion Show and Auction. 

The committee looked through the pieces I have posted so far and they seemed to like the style of  "Twenty Little Souls". Tonight I actually prepared the paper as I should and used a masking tape in order to get crisp corners. Then I started work on the product found below. I love creating this type of background using watercolor and Gelato gel sticks. Once the foundation is made, I can wet the brush and create the shape in the paper by removing pigment from the paper. I kept adding Gelato until I found the consistency I wanted and then moved on to watercolor pencil highlights and permanent printing. I used special silver and gold Gelatos to signify silver and gold friends. I hope this one "cuts the mustard" for the group and they can make a few bucks from its sale. I will be so happy if it does! It truly is the least I can do right now.

Honestly, I prefer the Canson 140 lb paper to this stuff. Somehow the Canson accepts watercolor much better than its counterpart Strathmore. Well, I am learning a lot about the various papers I have collected over the years. For all of this I am so thankful!


Materials:
Strathmore Windpower Watercolor Paper, 140 lb. 11x14
Faber Castell Watercolor Cakes
Faber Castell Gelatos
Derwent Watercolor Pencils
Staedtler Black Fine Point Permanent Marker


No comments: