Saturday, January 12, 2013

Twelve.

Since I moved to California, I have envisioned the word "create" to be part of my studio in the front room of the house. It only makes sense, but sometimes I need a reminder and am sort of a fan of word art. This is the first one to show up.

When I started the piece today, I had gotten comfy on the living room couch with the two pooches basically on and around my lap, but under a blanket. I had a feeling I was pushing it by having my watercolors and the small repurposed spice container filled with water sitting upon the drawing surface. 

I drew the "C" with a nice wide brush. Memories of learning calligraphy flooded my head and I began to create the next letter. I quickly realized there would not be enough room on the page for all of the letters and began thinking I had already failed because the font would be squished toward the end of the word and I would have to start all over again even though I had just started. Once all of that flashed past, a dog popped up and bumped the paper spilling the water all over the paper and onto my pants. 

Hmm. 

I took the paper pad with me to get a towel as it was just convenient to do. Then I saw the drips on the page and couldn't resist getting my hands into it, so I spread the water to cover the entire page, let it dry a bit and decided to complete the letters in an imperfectly fun way. They fit across the page and I am pleased with how the imperfect made it seem perfect today. 

I think I will go back to the "studio" tomorrow and rethink my setup.  



Materials:
Canson XL  Mixed Media, 98 lb. 11x14
Prang Watercolors
Faber-Castell Gelatos
Staedtler marker, black fine tip

No comments: