Sunday, January 13, 2013

Riffing

I spent a long time on yesterday's work, so today I made it quick and painless. There were no water spills- instead, only my pen and a couple of Gelatos fell to the floor. As I look at the picture, I may have to add another because I am not thrilled with how pink the edges appear and the clarity is fuzzy in spots. The rest of the color is true, but I'll try again in the morning. 

In the past few days, a couple of people have made references to a couple of artists with whom my art could be compared. Both Timothy Botts and Flavia have illustrated words and I have seen their work in the past. Although I've not studied either of their works extensively, I am familiar with it and I am sure bits and pieces have surfaced. It can be likened to improvisation in jazz music. 

Jazz musicians study other musicians by listening to soak up riffs and style. They practice playing through chords and try to place the melodic bits into their own improvisation. Soloists quote other musicians all the time and it is cool when another ear hears what's been quoted because that ear has probably studied a lot of the same quotations over time. It is great to quote and even better when the music produced becomes a style all your own, filled with the experience of life and true expression. No matter what, when two souls can relate to the given expression, that is when the art happens. 

Maybe there are other artists whose work mine resembles, but I can honestly say it is mine and filled with my life. I am thankful to be able to express art and share it.  

Tell me, whose art do you see?

Materials:
Canson XL Mixed Media 98lb 
Prang Watercolor Ovals
Faber-Castell Gelato
Staedtler Permanent Black Fine Tip Marker

No comments: