Thursday, January 3, 2013

I can still have a sick day.

Today started slowly as I try to kick a cold. The pooches let me sleep a little longer and I caught up on a few episodes of Parenthood. Note to self: If I cannot breathe from a stuffy nose, take some cold meds to clear it up, then watch Parenthood, expect said stuffiness to return sooner than later - and there is no medicine for the stuffy nose of crying.

I am thankful for said meds for helping me breathe again, today. I didn't take the usual morning walk, rather just enjoyed some rest, a few breaths of fresh air and soaking sunshine in hopes of healthier days.

The piece for today was actually started a few summers ago and it was only colored pencil on watercolor paper. Colored pencil has been my favorite medium since eighth grade when I realized how to blend from one color to another in a smooth transition. Over time, I practiced the technique with my Prismacolor pencils heavy with fondness of the old days.

However, at the time I played with color in a time where, for me, life seemed rather dim and I felt a little alone. Don't get me wrong, alone time is not a bane for me, rather a nice bonus after a school year of middle school aged company, if you catch my drift. The drawing stayed quiet in a sketchbook all this time and it turned out to be my "sub plan" for today's sick day. Name what it is if you must, but it started abstract and now it just has words and some watercolor to enrich it a bit. Yes, the tooth is too hefty. As I got into it, there was no intention of creating anything with it because no matter how I tried, the paper I chose was not going to forgive me. I fought it the whole way and was not happy with it. I guess it didn't have the right mix I needed.

Today, it is done. As this year starts and I work daily on this project my affirmation in this creativity is alive and well. It may have lived dormant but its bulb has roots deepening in precious soil.

I am grateful for this sick day.
I am grateful for saving bits from the past.
I am grateful for putting the past away and creating anew.
I am grateful for the pooches and their cozy love on sick days.
I am grateful for life.




No comments: